Sunday, May 22, 2016

An unknown national park - The Pinnacles

Previously a national monument, this place only recently received national park status (2013), so I guess it's not that surprising that I hadn't heard of it before!  But when I ran across it in my research on our RV routing and campgrounds, I had to check it out, of course!  And it didn't hurt that a fantastic campground was also in the area - well sort of.  Yanks is about an hour away.  But close enough!  A lot closer than San Diego!!
To see this park though you pretty much have to hike!  The Pinnacles is all about giant rocks, and they are mostly up high.  Accordingly, there are trails all over this place.  So that was the plan - a hike.  It was warmer than I liked so it was a hike in Tevas.  And being a national park now, it was also a dogless hike (no dogs allowed on trails in most - all? - NPs).  And because I didn't want to be weighed down (literally!), I only took my point and shoot!
 I only had the one day.  And because it was so warm, I decided to wait till afternoon.  And because I am so fat and out of shape now, I knew I shouldn't sign up for too long or too challenging an outing. But I wanted to see what was so special about this place, wanted to see the best it had to offer! So I decided on the High Peaks trail, driving all the way to the east entrance.  This trail would let me see a lot of great stuff and play on some especially fun trail sections (with steps carved into the rocks and metal railings in spots).  The trail started off in this pretty green glen/canyon and headed gently up the hill...
 Big boulders in evidence everywhere already - along the trail, in the bottom of the ravine...
 Some really pretty wildflowers blooming too.  Here is some lovely larkspur (Delphinium sp.?), one of my favorites.  I love the purple and blue hues!
 Prairie stars (Lithophragma parviflorum - hey, I don't name 'em!).  Gorgeous!!
 The view looking back and down after just a few minutes.
 And woolly blue curls (Trichostema lanatum).
 One of many flavors of monkey flowers (Mimulus sp.??).
 Elegant clarkia (Clarkia unguiculata) - and pollinator!
 Wild onion (Allium crispum).  I'm not sure I've ever seen this color before.  The ones I know are white.
 Cool rocks.
 Giant rocks, everywhere you look!
 Neat, jaggedy rocky ridge.
 And...a friend!  No, he's not dangerous!  (unless you're a small rodent...   You aren't, are you??  If you are, and you're reading this, please let me know!  That would be fascinating!  Although you probably then don't care much for this post!!!)
 (esp. these last two pictures!!)
 Wild snapdragon (Antirrhinum multiflorum).
 These snapdragons oversee the lower trail.
 Looking down, you can just bearly make out what I think must be the Bear Gulch Reservoir.  In the interest of time conservation (and energy!!), I skipped the side trail for this.  It turned out to be a good thing, as I was pretty pooped and it was getting dark by the time I returned to the truck.  But, I would love to return here someday and do that trail.  Would be fun to get more photos!!   :)
 And yet another wildflower!    Butterfly mariposa lily (Calochortus venustus).  These come in an amazing array of colors/styles.  In the San Diego area, I'm used to seeing the white ones, and light pink/lavender ones, and near our yurt, you will find yellow fuzzy ones!
 A portion along the top of the trail.
 More great rock formations.  Some of the rocks are orangey (not sure if that's just the result of oxidation or actual composition - maybe both!?) and some more grey.
I ran into a few people at the start of the hike, but these were the only two up near the top. 
 Just when I thought I'd missed the modified parts of the hike, I find them!  Turns out I wasn't quite at the "top" yet!  Most of the sections that had these hiking aids would have been doable without them, but it would require more of a rock scramble.  Which would have made for a fun challenge mere months ago, but I have gotten old recently (incredible aging in just about three or four months...?!!!), and so I can now appreciate these cheats a lot more! 
 You probably can't even see all the little bits here (they blend in so well!) - two sets of steps and then a metal railing along with a third set up near the top.
 Looking back at the incredible rock view.
 That third set of steps, with railing.
 These steps were a little different than I'd seen before.  Rather than a longer step that you could fit both feet on at one time if you wanted to (like on stairs), there was really only room for one foot, so you needed to be in sync with them.  And the wall was steep enough, that my knees were basically hitting it while climbing up!

 A longer stretch with railing, and even a tiny wooden bridge (and with very low clearance!).
 This was my favorite part.  So pretty!  And kind of stunning, breath-taking.  Down a kind of steep section of rock, with giant boulder above and below, and rocky hill visible ahead, where the trail would ultimately lead.  And you can see various shades and types of lichen and whatnot on the rock (bright yellow-green, greenish-grey, black, orange,...).
 So neat it was worth two photos (more in the camera, of course - just two up here!)!

 Another amazing view back (these last two or so view shots have been of the "other side" than I started on).
 Another interesting rocky ridge.
And one last view, on my way down, looking back up.  It's getting dark now...  Not pitch black or anything, and I do have a flashlight with me and all that, but I'm glad I'm not too awful far from the car now.
That was fun!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I wish we where there with you on that hike. I love hikes like that. So awesome and beautiful. JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trail! Nice shots of it and the flora.

    ReplyDelete