Friday, August 12, 2016

Day 2 in The Palouse

I loved Palouse and The Palouse so much, we stayed a little longer than I'd originally planned.  In fact, at first I wasn't sure we should even make it a destination.  I was interested photographically but wasn't sure Bill would enjoy it, wasn't sure the campground would be that good, wasn't sure it wouldn't just be too damn hot, wasn't sure it wasn't too much of a detour (although we were probably as close to it as we'd ever get!),...  But we went for it, and I'm sure glad we did!  It ended up being one of my favorite stops of our trip!!  On this day - and the next - I ended up doing very long drives.  Even spending three days in the area wasn't quite enough.  To do it justice, we really needed to stay longer and in at least two different spots - the good stuff was just too spread apart, and my efforts got spread too thin.  But better than not at all!!

 I loved the way things were sometimes hidden, tucked away, surrounded by green - houses, barns, silos...


 Some of the legumes (peas, beans,...).
 Lotsa legumes (foreground).

 Must be wheat.






 'Nother duster.


 I know, I know, me and my cemeteries...  But there are some really cool or unique ones - like this place...


 And here we are, in Uniontown.  And what's so special about Uniontown?  Well, there's this artsy-fartsy place...
 And it's known for its...
 fence!

 Pretty cool, eh?!
 Past Uniontown, I drove all the way D-O-W-N the 95 south to the Snake River, in Lewiston (ID)/Clarkston (WA).  It's a pretty steep descent, dropping about 2000 feet in 7 miles.  
But what a view!

  
 At the bottom, heading west on the 12, I planned on getting to the Palouse Falls in time for sunset.  Unfortunately, I had a brain scramble and somehow got my routing-timing confused, and somehow my drive time gained an hour or so...
 My bad.  It was a very pretty sunset.  And would've made for the desired photos...  Sadly, I was in the wrong place at the right time...  
 Pretty wispy clouds glowing pink...  The vetch and grass-covered plateaus were beautiful in the rosy twilight...
 Trying to make the most of cars getting in the way of my pictures...!  ; )
 Getting to the falls chasm...too late.  The tripod allowed me to get photos, but it was much darker than it looks in this photo!  The sunset was long gone...
I had wanted to shoot these falls because of the cool circle effect in the pool below.  And how neat it would've looked with that pink light bouncing along those canyon walls...

5 comments:

  1. Was waiting for this series of photos. Fantastic, CarrieBear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the wheel fences. You are an artist, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sunset photos are just magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH but the Chasm photo after dark can only be this super after sun is down - no bright sun,I know you know that, What a super job, Carrie,

    ReplyDelete