Tuesday, July 26, 2016

First stop: Oneonta

The sights I got to see in these two long-drive days were so incredibly beautiful, I took billions of photos (of course!).  And I will be posting many of them so that hopefully you will feel like you did the little treks with me and got to see the wonderful scenery too!
So here we're going to do a gorge within a gorge!  
The road now actually bypasses this bridge, but it is here that the 1/2 mile walk to Oneonta Falls begins.
Folks looking from the bridge.  Unfortunately, you can't really see the gorge from here.
What you see is this!  Trees you need to pass under first.
The "trail" starts with stairs, at the non-tunnel end of the bridge.
And yeah, here's the "trail!"  While it's only 1/2 mile to the falls, you may be starting to understand why that 1/2 mile can take awhile, and why this hike is not for everyone...
The first big obstacle is a fairly impressive (if you're the one trying to get over it!) jumble of giant boulders and huge downed trees.  This is a good place to seriously watch your step!  And it's all hands on deck - this is scrambling, not hiking!
It's a little daunting to tackle this log jam and takes longer than it seems like it should!
 OK, here we go!  A couple ventures out in front of me.  It's funny that the gal is balancing on the log to cross the little section of creek and keep her feet dry...
 and here's why - there's almost nothing but creek left to walk in for the rest of the walk!  There are some dry rocky sections, but for much of the remainder you must walk in the water.


 Neat ferns on one wall and pretty ground cover plants on the other.
 This couple made it all the way to the falls.  Something I planned on NOT doing.  Because in order to do so, at the last bit, you have to pass through water almost neck-high!  And it is COLD water!  Hopefully these folks had dry clothes to change into!
 Looking back as they start the log jam section on their way out.
 And looking back towards the falls again.
 While I'm the middle, messing around with my camera and tripod, another intrepid adventurer sallies forth... 
 Here she is keeping her phone above water!  I give her full credit for knowingly going through that freezing water!
For me, this was as close as I was willing to go...
 Can almost see the waterfall...
 More pretty gorge walls, and tree corpses.

 Time for me to head back now too...

 As I leave, more people are just starting their upstream voyage.
 Dripping water supports these beautiful hanging gardens.
 The obstacle course in reverse!
 And one more look back...

2 comments:

  1. Real pretty gorge. Looks like a challenging hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geez, I'm on day 4 of your blog, this Oneata forest is spectacular!! My keyboard is faulty and I have much trouble writing you. I treasure your blogs and save them for an evening when I can devote an hour or more, thank you, spectacular!



    ReplyDelete