Monday, June 20, 2016

Day 3: Crescent City x 2 and the Boy Scout Trail

No pictures to prove it, but I drove to Crescent City twice - just like the Newton Drury Parkway.  Once, with Bill and the dogs, and once to do a hike.
 The CC lighthouse - pretty cute, eh?
 And the beach, which was covered in our dogs' pawprints.  They had such a good time!!  I'm only sorry I had not brought the camera along on our little walk with them, so no pix!
 It's a City of a City!
 On to Round Two.  A stop on the way to CC.
 And there's that pretty water color again!
 A view of CC from the south.
 And we come to the trail portion of our day, another old growth forest.  Fortunately, unlike the Lady Bird trail, where voices of little shrieking (I kid you not - ha-ha, pun almost always intended!) kids reverberated around the forest, this place was silent.  As it should be.  I think if you are not struck into a reverential silence here, you are doing it wrong!  These "people" (trees) have been here so much longer than you have, they have weathered far more storms and are still standing...  They deserve your awestruck respect.
 You're going to see lots of pictures like this...   I loved the fern-lined trail.

 I wish I could have hiked this on a foggy or misty day, but that's not the weather that was provided.  But here's me trying to make lemonade (photo/weather-wise, that is)...
 Another favorite flower of mine - wild iris.
 It was good to find a few unwitting volunteers for tree size reference...

 These gnarly roots made for some slightly gnarly walking, lest I wind up with an ankle just as twisted!
 I like this ground shot  :)   Pretty colored clovery stuff.
 What?  What's this?  Well, the little cascades had such high contrast conditions, I thought I'd just give you this - the water's color reflections in the little pond at the bottom.
 Star flowers.
 OK, here's a mystery photo for you!   What is that white blob (and the one behind and to the left)?

A:  spittlebugs!  These are basically baby bugs (or nymph-stage) that use this often plant sap-flavored froth to a)hide, b)control moisture, c)control temperature, and d)protect themselves from predators with a nasty-tasting coating.  Pretty ingenious, yeah?  Adults are called froghoppers - I like both names!

 Another non-foggy shot.
 More trail,...
 more ferns...
 And who's this cute little guy??  Well, he's a Cute Newt!  And we know he's a newt because "newts are a type of salamander that have rough skin."  But...is he a California newt or a rough-skinned newt?  TBD by someone salamander-savvier than me!

 Seen this before somewhere...  Oh yeah, last blog post!  :)


The road home...

No comments:

Post a Comment